- Unity Center of Reno is affiliated with Unity World Headquarters at Unity.org and Unity Worldwide Ministries at UnityWorldwideMinistries.org
- Unity believes:
- There is One Presence and One Power in the Universe. That Power is all good.
- I am an expression of this Power and am naturally good.
- I create my own experiences by what I choose to think and what I feel and believe.
- Through affirmative prayer and meditation, I connect with this Infinite Power and bring out the good in my life.
- I do and give my best by living the Truth I know. I make a difference!
- At Unity Center we offer a positive, practical, progressive approach to Spirituality. Unity is nondenominational, non-dogmatic, and introduces an enlightened Spirituality which embraces the universal truths in other religions. Unity’s emphasis is on a path of spiritual awakening that moves humanity toward oneness through love, forgiveness, and inclusivity of all people. Our focus is not on sin, but in creating a healthy relationship with God and the universe which is free of fear and guilt. We take an extremely positive approach to life, emphasizing the good in people and all of life.
Each of us has 12 creative powers that are fundamental to us. These are aspects of our Divine nature. The notion that each of us holds the Divine within us, that we have a spiritual nature along with our humanity, is not new. But most of us don’t have a method for developing our spiritual capacities.
Unity cofounder Charles Fillmore, who was strongly influenced by the Transcendental movement, went on a committed spiritual search. It led him to Eastern spirituality, which he integrated with the Christianity of his upbringing. He created the 12-power system more than a century ago. Based on the reality of the divine spark within all people, Fillmore used the disciples of Jesus as exemplars of the 12 powers.
The 12 powers provide a system for soul growth. Our minds can be a link to Spirit through these 12 capacities: wisdom, love, strength, faith, imagination, order, understanding, will, power, zeal, release, and life itself. We can paint the life we want by focusing on, understanding, and cultivating these 12 spiritual powers.
FAITH is the divine power to make the possible real. It is based on our perception for future possibilities. Conviction is trust, assurance, confidence. We expect things to go well.
STRENGTH is the power to stay the course with courage. It is stabilizing like an anchor. Tenacity and persistence provides us with staying power.
WISDOM is the divine power to evaluate through comparison or contrast. Discernment is the ability not to rely upon facts but upon principles in decision-making. We develop our intuitive capacity to know that which is beyond the intellect.
LOVE is the power to magnetize to us the people and situations that reflect harmony and unity. Love always focuses only on the good. When we unify we let go of separation-consciousness.
POWER is the spiritual ability that can be cultivated for transformation. Concentration allows us to focus on one thing. Self-mastery guides our thoughts, words, and actions in integrity. Spiritual authority is developed when we focus on serving others and not the personality self.
IMAGINATION is the divine power to conceive an idea or plan. Our visioning is an important aspect of creation. We embody the qualities required for the idea to become reality.
UNDERSTANDING is the power of comprehension to discover connections between thought and feeling. The more we have comprehended and realized spiritual truths, the more likely our insights will be accurate and useful.
WILL is the power of choice, commitment, and willingness. Desire is the driver of choice making. Commitment places us on a particular path. Willingness is the antidote for willfulness.
ORDER is the divine power to organize a structure or sequence for ideas which is evident in nature. It allows us to adjust to changing conditions and reestablish order. Evolution is the power of order demonstrated as development, progress, or growth.
ZEAL is the power to harness enthusiasm as a propellant into purposeful living. It takes bold direction toward intentions and fulfillment. Zeal requires devotion which is present moment engagement.
RELEASE is the divine power of cleansing, letting go and review. Sins are our misperceptions and misunderstandings of divine nature and our Divine Identity. There are times to let go of these misperceptions.
LIFE is the power of the impulse to move forward, onward and upward. It is vital that we have the ability to thrive. Life is being, which shows up through the physical, which allows the invisible to have presence.
When we consciously apply these powers they give us insight, understanding, and transformation.